Monday, November 14, 2011

Real Life


Can I confess something to you guys?

Sometimes my dogs get on my nerves. 


Like, what's the nearest shelter's number, get-on-my-nerves. 

Whew. Load offa my chest there.

I have a not only a  teen-aged dog, but one that requires training and work, then over-time work, a reactive dog and an old gal, my job, school and other events and situations I'm required to attend. Pressure? Yeah. A little. There are weeks where I just don't.stop.going.

I've been asked on multiple occasions how I manage it all, and I can honestly say this: Sometimes I don't know. 
To be honest, I've been in this type of situation before, so we're flying by the seat of our pants. 

Sometimes I have to put my focus on one specific thing and let everything else fall to the way side.

Sometimes I'll have to split my focus between two things and let everything else drop off.

<cough>MyHouse</cough>

There are times when I feel as if I'm just rushing from one thing to another, gotta get home, get the dogs out, gotta exercise them..push come on guys, lets pump those legs.. are we tired yet? Surely you're tired.. lets move move move!

During times like this, little things become big annoyances.

It hit me the other day, as I reacted in frustration to the incessant barking of one of my dachshund's... "FOR THE LOVE OF BONES AND ALL THINGS GOOD STOPITSTOPITSTOPITSTOPIT!

She didn't stop.

All the while a little voice inside my head is going: "This isn't exactly teaching her what you would like instead Erin!"

I hate my brain at times. 

So whaaaat? What am I supposed to do? #whineyvoice

Stop reacting to the situation and start being proactive about it. 

You would think, after owning and working with a reactive dog for the last three years, the last thing I would want to do is act just like him. *grins*

After a deep annoyance-cleansing breath. I called her to me, and gave her something else to focus on.

The next time she started barking, instead of ignoring it until I was way past my annoyance level, I told her "Thank You", called her into another room, away from the "sound" (that I couldn't hear) and rewarded her for coming. This way, she still alerts me to things outside, I acknowledge that she' done her duty.. and hopefully can move on.

All without an ounce of frustration. 


What situations do you normally "react" too that perhaps need another perspective on? Leave me a comment and let me know!


1 comment:

  1. I am in the same boat (leaving the house to the wayside.) Anywhoo, I was thinking about your dog training advice and plan on using it with Copper. But I saw how it could be useful with my children. The frustration level is high in our home for everyone. I just got to remember to breath and refocus. I, of course, already know this. I just keep forgetting in the heat of the moment :( So, maybe I should start chanting it so I can remember when I really need to :-)

    ReplyDelete